May 01, 2008

Macaroons!


Macaroon, or macaron as the French calls it, is one of my favorite cookies on this planet earth. Yes, I am obsessed with them, those delicious round, sandwich type cookies filled with many flavors to choose from. Last month, I had the privilege to visit the land of macaroons, it is, where else besides France. As soon as I landed my feet in Paris, I immediately made plans to hunt for them. The best shops in Paris for macaroons are (according to me): Pierre Herme, Laduree, and Dallayou. Pierre Herme is located on the 6th arr. in Rue Bonaparte. This is their main shop. What attracts me the most about their macaroons is the fact that they have lychee flavored ones! I certainly haven't found lychee ones in any other places before. Not to mention that the cookie parts are so soft yet crunchy at the same time, the kind that just melts in your mouth on the first bite, yummm. Next one, Laduree.. well, this one needs no more introduction. This is a famous one with many shops scattered around Paris and other European countries. My favorite from Laduree is their jasmine flavored macaroons. I managed to bring home (to Indonesia) two boxes filled with colorful macaroons from Laduree, and I didn't mind one bit to carry them all the way by hand. Last, we have Dallayou, which is located on the 8th arr. in Rue du Fabourg St. Honore. Dallayou ones are not really special, but delicious nonetheless. I just like them coz it's located 5 mins away to where I was staying in Paris, hehe! Definitely a good place for my daily macaroon fix. Hey, did you know that Marc Jacobs was inspired by macaroons for one of his LV creations? Check this one out to find out yourself: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34kZA7YpVxk





No comments: